Friday, August 3, 2007

Manhunt 2 Controversy

Well Manhunt 2 has been making headlines during the last week. Coming out for the PS2 and Wii, the sequel to one of the most hardcore games ever has been banned from sale in the UK. I played the first Manhunt on the PS2 when it came out and there was some fucked up shit goin down in that game. But of course I loved it and finished the murderous adventure. My favorite weapon had to be the plastic bag. It was so simplistic yet suffocating somebody with it created one of those "holy shit" moments in my life. Not really one of the "holy shit that was kinda crazy" moments but more of the "holy shit that was kinda wrong" moments. The first Manhunt did have the most brutal death I had ever seen in a video game and from the sound of it the new title doesn't let up from the first.

A few days after its official UK ban, it was revealed that Manhunt 2 would receive an AO Rating (Adults Only) here in the US. While this is not a governmental ban like in the UK, both Sony and Nintendo have a policy of not allowing AO rated content for their systems. No console video game has ever received an Adults Only rating before.

After all these reports last week it just made me want to play Manhunt 2 even more. This game must be real twisted. There were some quotes from an IGN.com video featuring some Nintendo editors whom had sat down with the game that spiked my interest even more. They go as follows:


Matt Casamassina

"This is the most gruesome game I have ever seen."

"People who have watched us play this..they are grossed out."


Mark Bozon

"I have never seen anything or played anything that is more violent than this."

(Referring to the Wii motion control) "It's frightening. It is absolutely frightening...Every step of the way you are doing the motion and seeing a reaction that is bloody and violent."

Hey, sounds good to me! Whenever somebody says anything along the lines of "this is the craziest shit I have ever seen" I am pretty much sold and destined to check it out. Since the end of last week, Manhunt 2 has also been banned in Ireland and Take-Two has decided to shelve the project until they can decide on what they want to do.

They can obviously alter the game to bring the rating up to a Mature rating or they can appeal the AO rating that was given. I don't see Take-Two bowing out because they believe in their games and feel that they have the right to make what they want. Yet if the game can't get to consumers than they have an even bigger problem. It looks like we will just have to wait and find out but I would like to get my hands on this game as soon as possible.

No comments: